blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Wednesday, October 19, 2005


Nice, But Not Necessary

I like automation as much as the next Systems Administrator and any time a server, PC, network switch or printer can tell me that it's having a problem before many people find out, better for the users and better for me. I'm also a sucker for trying virtually every "helpful" feature that comes on a device these days. I found an option on the Dell laser printers where I can have the printer email me when it's out of paper, so I turned it on... and turned it off 9 hours later after 20+ "out of paper" emails. Nice feature, but really not necessary since virtually every person whose been exposed to a printer in the past 30 years can probably tell when it's out of paper. An "Low Toner" email is more useful, especially if it goes to the person in charge of purchasing office supplies. Don't you think?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home