blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005


FellowshipOne Poll: Closed Contact Items

Whenever ideas for enhancements to Fellowship One come to mind, I usually submit them via the support area of the F1 Portal. Shortly afterward, I receive a very nice email from Lisa Morris stating that it would be a great idea and then she forwards it on to Fellowship Technologies' Product Manager, Curtis Harris, for further consideration. Today's epiphany, however, doesn't exactly strike me as a slam dunk no-brainer, hence the reason for this poll.

Consider the following situation as it relates to your church and let me know if it seems like a project for the good folks in Irving, Texas.

For historical purposes, should a 'closed contact' in Fellowship One retain the name of the original person assigned to follow up with the individual or household even if that person no longer serves at the church and is subsequently deleted as a user from the system?

Currently, if a Fellowship One user is deleted, ALL of their contacts become 'Unassigned' or they can be manually reassigned to a different user. While I think this is an appropriate action for 'Open' (not yet visited) contacts, I don't see that passively removing the names of former workers who have already (positively) impacted the lives of families in the church is a good idea.

What's your take on this and should Fellowship Technologies work to retain such historical data?



3 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't currently use F1 (no budget. We use excel. Woohoo) but I would think this would be a good option for a preference panel. Let me as the use choose how to go about this. On thought would be rather than delete a user, give them an archived status. The are inactive (no one can use their old password and login) but their data remains archived. This would give that person's replacement a historical point of reference. We don't throw out old staff members file cabinets when they leave, because we want the next guy to have a starting point. I think the same thing here.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuart,

I agree with Chris, why not just make them inactive?

Grace to you,

jhook
President
Fellowship Technologies

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Stuart Cowen said...

Y'know Guys, that's a super idea and I'm glad I asked for opinions before I just blindly fired off a support request.

Brian - ditto on the 'Never Delete' stance!

After Chris sent in his comment, my mind was reeling about how in the back-end my original idea could be accomplished. The thought of altering relationships and writing triggers was more than I could handle before my morning coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home