blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Tuesday, August 30, 2005


Really Want a PC in the Kitchen

For me and Lisa, email, reference, news, yellow pages, maps, blogs, etc. are things we do on the Internet at least once a day each. The central room in our home is the kitchen and also is the first room we enter from the garage. It would be so nice to have the Internet and our messages conveniently located on the countertop under the cupboards so that we could pop-in and out between the virtual world and reality without missing a beat. In contrast, I currently have to go into the Dining Room/Study to use the computer and, although not far away, it mentally detaches me from the rest of the house and its various goings-on. In addition, now that I've sat down, I have to make it worth my while, so I try to cram in a lot of 'Net Time' when I really don't have time.

Here's another reason a PC in the kitchen would be handy. Tonight, I arrived home and nobody was here because Lisa had decided to take the boys to LifeTime Fitness to play. So I made myself two quick bean 'n' cheese burritos and planned on catching up on email, the latest blog posts and some news. Now, If I had a PC in the kitchen, I could've done all of that surfing while the food was warming up, eating and cleaning up. But as it is, I had to transport the burritos, chips, hot sauce, sour cream and a drink all the way (14 daddy steps) to the "sit-down computer" where the remnants of my feast presently sit waiting to be transported back while I post this entry.

Alas, the only computer unit I've found to be aesthetically worthy of culinary display is the Sony PCV-W Series which Sony has discontinued. I really would like a kitchen PC some day and I'm going to pursue this matter - but carefully.



4 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stu,

I would get an IMac or a Mac Mini, with blue tooth - wireless keyboard and mouse (could hide them in a drawer when not in use),
wifi - no wires to run for internet access, then bonus would be to by a monitor that also doubles as a cable tv ready television.... (could put it on an hinge to move it away for storage). The best technology in a home is the technology that is not visable...

Join the Mac revolution...

Love your blog,

Randal

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wireless network and a laptop -- it's the way to go. I can be anywhere in my house and still allegedly be involved in the goings on around the house. Cheers. --Ro

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a laptop in our kitchen area ... though I can totally understand the desire for it to blend in seemlessly to your decor

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Stuart Cowen said...

Thanks for all of the input! I'm getting the laptop message loud and clear (as well as my wife nodding her approval). If I were to combine everyone's comments and distill them into a single unit, I'd say the Apple Powerbook would be the ultimate in computing decor, ease, afforability and stability. Thanks again everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home