blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005


Yes, Terry, I Did Miss It!

I have been hearing for a week now on various podcasts and many blogs that a couple of major announcements would come from Apple; a suspected "new" iPod and the iTunes phone. But I totally missed it until I read Terry Storch's post. If he's embarrassed that he posted on it so late, then I'm just lame :)

However, being a fan of the famous Steve Jobs webcasts, I decided to blog on it while it ran on my laptop. Not quite Live Blogging, but it makes me feel cool. Here are some bullet points from the Webcast.

iTunes Update
  • Sold Half a billion songs
  • Podcasts: 7 million subscriptions in 2 months; 15,000 podcasters
  • 2 million songs in the iTunes library
  • 10 Million accounts in iTunes
  • Harry Potter audio books exclusively on iTunes - little impact to me
  • All Madonna songs now available - even less impact to me
iTunes 5 - Now Available!!!
  • A new Look - a little cleaner, especially on Windows
  • Available to download Right Now!!
  • Microsoft Outlook Syncing?! Autosync with the iPod Calendar and Contacts FINALLY!!
  • Smart Shuffle - Decreases the probability that the same artist plays back-to-back
  • Parental Controls - Disable features like podcasts or explicit music downloads and previews
ROKR - The iTunes phone from Motorola and Cingular
  • About 100 songs
  • One button iTunes access
  • Similar to the iPod Shuffle
  • Music stops when a call comes in and (supposed to) resumes after the call.
  • New Motorola and Cingular commercials debut.
  • My wife needs a new phone and has been wanting the iPod shuffle - Perfecto!
iPod Update
  • Almost 22 million iPods sold - 74% market share among all MP3 players
  • New automotive iPod connectivity with Honda, Acura, Audi & Volkswagen
  • In 2006, 30% of all cars will have integrated iPod connectivity.
iPod nano - You've got to see this!
  • "Breathtaking". "One of the most amazing products Apple has ever made."
  • Holds 1,000 songs, just like the original iPod, but 80% smaller.
  • Vibrant color screen, click wheel and the 30-pin dock connector.
  • Photos, multiple clock views, games, stopwatch and 4 digit screen lock operated by the clickwheel.
  • 1.5 ounces, USB 2.0 and a 14 hour battery.
  • Comes in black or white
  • 4 GB - 1,000 songs - $249.00
  • 2 GB - 500 songs - $199.00
  • Replaces the iPod Mini - goodbye old friend.
Special Musical Guest: Kanye West. Not my cup of tea, but he did thank Steve Jobs for still letting him perform. He sounded slightly humble and very grateful to Jobs considering the controversy surrounding his comments about Bush's regard for victims of Hurricane Katrina.




2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless iTunes has a subscription based service in the near future I predict many people will jump ship and head for services like yahoo music ... I did and I've already convinced 3 other folks to do the same in the past week.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Stuart Cowen said...

Your post on "Goodbye iTunes" is one of the few that I have saved and I keep referring back to it. It's intriguing the notion of a subscription. I'm hopping over there now and I'll post a question....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home