blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Saturday, September 17, 2005


The "Church Technology" Distinction

I often tell people that I work in Church Technology, but I think I'm done with saying that. The majority of folks, especially church employees, tend to think of the Audio, Video and visible "Big Church" technology. But I'm an Information Technologist within the Church: computers, software, networking, databases, Internet, email, etc. Bits and bytes, not knobs and switches.

I know that many of my Church IT buds do both Computer and A/V; the very talented Jim Walton is one of them. But for you others who are strictly Information Technology, how do you tell people what you do?

Oh one more thing, I don't do phone systems either - yet...



2 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run into the same thing ... so I now just say I'm the computer dude or the IT guy.

If you can keep from being the phone guy also ... well, more power to ya! Phones are evil ;-)

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too kind, my friend. At best, I am an A/V hack.

I agree though. People always think of the visible tech stuff. Most of what I do is behind the scenes, keep things running stuff. It does usually take an explanation whenever it comes up. It seems that this role is so new in the church that people don't realize the necessity for it.

Information Technologist....it kind of has a nice ring to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home