blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005


Less Clutter and Noise

Borrowing from the title of Kem Meyer's blog at Granger Community Church, I have just reorganized my Bloglines account to focus on "Less Clutter and Noise". Actually, I've only reduced the clutter, but the result is less noise in my head every time I log in to Bloglines. In my world, if everything has a place to be put into and categorized then I love to create those places and containers. I like "organizing" so much that I'll create containers or folders for things that don't yet exist - but will someday, I'm sure. This obsessive-compulsiveness quickly spirals down to chaos and then I'm stuck with clutter, noise and zero real organization.

My Bloglines folders were no different. I had categories such as Pastor Blogs, Minister Blogs, Christian Blogs, Church IT Blogs, General IT Blogs, News Blogs, Tech News Blogs, Tech Tips Blogs, Blogging Blogs, and so on. It was a total wreck on the computer screen and I often overlooked many of my favorite blogs, because either the folder was closed or it was so far down past the bottom edge of the screen. About half of my folders had nothing in them! So now after cleaning house, I have just two folders: blogs I read daily (My Blogs) and new blogs that I've just collected but haven't had time to review. If I like the new additions, then I move them to the My Blogs folder. Simple and the noise is much quieter now.



1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, done that! I set up similar folders a while back, 'Best of the best', which is exactly how it sounds, 'Daily Reads', which are good ones, but if I miss 'em, it's not big deal, 'Church Tech', 'On the way out'. The last one is for new blogs, before I know which category they will live in and ones I am considering blowing away (off my list, that is, not literally)

Man, it helps, bigtime.

I am also much more discriminatory about what I keep. It really has to offer me some value, either entertainment, knowledge or something. That has helped me narrow down my blogroll overall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home