blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Friday, November 11, 2005


RRAS

Normally, I use Windows Server's Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) as a VPN Server so users can remotely work from home or wherever and I can remotely administer the server and network. With Windows 2003, this just works - haven't had one problem. Yesterday, I was at a church getting them set up for remote administration and proceeded to set up their Windows 2000 server for remote access. The Wizard is practically the same as Windows 2003 RRAS, but the behavior is much different - it shut down their entire Local Area Network!! Once RRAS was disabled, everything was hunky-dory again. (???) I Googled for a while and even logged into a Windows 2003 server that has RRAS working perfectly to check settings - EXACTLY THE SAME. Today, I'll be Googling some more, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the DNS and/or Active Directory. Somehow, most of my problems with Windows networks lead me back there. Another option would be to let the VPN-enabled firewall handle the remote access task.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home