blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Friday, November 11, 2005


Plug-and-Play Printers?

I was preparing some 'How-To' documents for a church on my laptop and was thinking of printing them at their location using one of their printers. But then a feeling of dread came over me at the though ot plugging in and Windows XP telling me that I have to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website then install the bloated "extra needless software printing suite" just so I can print a regular black and white piece of paper. Bleah!

Aren't we at the stage in technology where every printer (even the cheapies) should come with a base, stable, no-frills driver loaded into its firmware and when we plug in the USB cable or try to attach to it through the network it has just enough logic to be able to push the driver through the cable to our systems so that we can instantly print? I mean come on! Isn't that was Plug-and-Play is all about?



1 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Mark Manley said...

Stuart,
The answer to your question is "yes". OS X contains, built-in, drivers for all major manufacturers of printers. When I go to a place that has wireless, I simply flip open the lid on my PowerBook, recognize the network, hit Command-P on my document, and if the printer driver has not been installed yet, I get the option to do so (30 seconds), and then continue printing, all in one operation. No need to go out of my print dialog, go somewhere, download, reboot, yada yada.

Cheers,
Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home