blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Friday, July 29, 2005


Volunteer Identities

Churches I have worked with in the past have an undocumented policy of not granting volunteers and interns (who work with church data) personalized network accounts and church email addresses. Rather, each ministry is assigned a generic volunteer account and email. If there are multiple volunteers, they must share. From the SysAdmin viewpoint, I agree with this solely on the premise that volunteer turnover is generally higher than an employee and the administration of adding and deleting accounts is greater. But, what about liability and accountability? Even though the church does background checks and matches giftedness to available opportunities, why don't we assigned personalized email addresses? This might even be a business administration or legal question.

Lately, I've experienced that church employees who recruit the volunteers expect them to be granted a 'firstname.lastname@somechurch.org' email address and seem to take offense when I suggest the generic method. The volunteer, on the other hand, could really care less and is just happy to serve. But, just saying, "...because it's our policy..." is wearing pretty thin and trite. I'd like to have a ready and logical answer the next time I'm challenged on the subject. Any volunteers?



1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to figure out a good solution for this as well.
My NetAdmin has been working on a script in his spare time to try and automate account creations and such.
From a security standpoint I'd prefer to have volunteers all have a unique login...but it would be a management nightmare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home