blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Tuesday, June 28, 2005


My Home Away from Life

When people say "What do you do for a living?", you usually say what you do at your full-time job, right? So if your job is synonymous withliving or your life, then you need a home away from it (stay with me here, the payoff might be worth it). Even though I do tech work for my church and have an incredible passion for using technology to connect others with God's people, I actually have a full-time job as a Database Administrator in the financial industry.

My Home Away from Life is Irving Bible Church, just a 2 minute walk from the office. They have a "Town Square" concept which is phenomenal. A huge play area for the kids that is like 3 McDonald's PlayPlaces stacked on top of one another. Lots of nice comfy leather couches, armchairs and tables for serious study, engaging conversation or sleep (I've seen it). A coffee shop called the Mo Cafe which is the next best thing to a Starbucks. Local Christian artists regularly display their art for limited engagements. Very cool music is piped throughout the whole place and (drum roll please) FREE WI-FI - yeah Baby, that's what I'm talking about!!!

Seriously, though, my kids love it, I love it, my wife loves it - it's a perfect getaway from the daily grind. But it's a great outreach to the residential and the busy professional community. Throughout the day, you'll find people from all walks of life, soaking up the love of Jesus from all who volunteer. The IT Guy out there is Austin McCollum - he makes things happen at IBC and is an incredible MS Exchange guru who has saved my bacon a couple of times.

If you're in the D/FW area, make a stop in Irving and go check it out!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home