blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Tuesday, March 07, 2006


Stickin' it to the Man... Maybe

A year ago, we ditched our traditional phone company in favor of going 100% mobile and we haven't looked back since. Recently, I've been offered at work to pilot an "IT in a Box" strategy where I would work from home or remotely full-time which is a long-awaited answer to prayer. It's not official yet, but until then I've been practicing a couple days per week seeing if I can make it work. Not being tied to a set schedule and forsaking the daily commute is AWESOME, however, the conference calls on a mobile phone are killing my wallet. Last night at the recommendation of a colleague, I purchased a $50.00 Vonage Linksys VoIP Phone Adapter and signed up for the $24.99/month unlimited plan. Vonage makes it so easy to sign up online and within 5 minutes I had broadband phone service. Since the calls are purely digital, I've noticed the improved clarity the sound. Today, I spent almost 3 hours on the phone without any hiccups.



1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're still my hero, Stu, I think you always have been! We just cutoff our home phone, both of the cordless handsets had batteries that wouldn't hold a charge, so we could not even answer our home phone for a few months but we would get voice mail. We went for over a year with only our cell phones, then after getting our house a couple of years ago, we caved and got a home phone.

Now we are free from it. We have considered getting skypeIN, which will give us an incoming number, it's like $40/yr. Vonage doesn't offer local numbers where I'm at, Skype offers a number that's in the same area code, but about an hour away from us.

I may look at vonage again, though, cell minutes add up quick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home