blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Friday, March 03, 2006


Adios, Tres Amigos

After more than a year of "on again, off again" relationships, I'm finally saying goodbye forever to three Internet tools:

Bloglines - The online RSS aggregator is a great tool, but for me, it slowly turned into a creeping dread. The problem: Too many blogs, too little time. I would subscribe to a ton of feeds and it slowly turned into a blog-clog nightmare. Many blogs that I loved to read would be at best skimmed as the mission was to quickly clear out the (very high) number of unread posts. The Solution: Bookmark blog sites in Firefox that I really want to read and use Technorati/Google Blog Search to find articles of interest.

Yahoo Widgets (Konfabulator) - Honestly, I don't have a need for big clocks, partial to-do lists or annoying animations glued to my desktop. They look great, but useless to me.

Trillian - This instant messenger client combines AOL, MSN and Yahoo into one program. The problem: Even though I have IDs and screen names with all three IM services, over time all of my contacts except one (sorry Darryl) have migrated t0 MSN and lately, Trillian hasn't been able to keep a persistent connection with it. The solution: MSN Messenger.



1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Stuart, I can see how giving up Starbucks is challenging, but I can't imagine giving up bloglines! But...I sure understand the challenge. Wishing you the best in your decluttered life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home