blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006


Web Site Statistics

Last year I transferred a company's web site from a hosting service to an in-house server using Windows 2003 Small Business Server. So far the switch seems to have been very beneficial, but there haven't been any statistics generated since the site launched mainly because Microsoft's Internet Information Server doesn't come with a web-based statistics reporting tool. After some research, I found a very nice program called AWStats that uses the the very raw traffic logs to produce a series of graphs and charts. It's a free tool so setting it up isn't quite a slam dunk, but it's not as horrific as other Open Source programs I've used in the past. Within one day I had it installed, configured, tweaked and secured.

I found out that Google has a similar service called Google Analytics that seems to be most excellent for reporting website traffic and the most effective search keywords. Unfortunately, it's on an invitation basis that I think only Google hands out. I signed up to receive an invitation code as soon as their capacity increases. If anyone has a good words to say about Google Analytics, I'd love to hear it.

AWStats is built with Perl and now I'm intrigued. I think a little code-dabbling might be in order.



3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot about that, I signed up for g-analytics about a month ago or so, never heard back. I have awstats on my server for my stats, but for my blog, I find I tend to look to feedburner mainly. But for an actual website that doesn't use fb, awstats is the best, at least out of the few I've looked at.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might check out statcounter.com. Used in conjunction with AWstats they provide some pretty good trend tracking. Certain statistics only report the last 100 hits (unless you pay to upgrade) but things like number of page loads and number of unique visitors it remembers for ever.

The very cool thing that makes them more reliable than AWstats, is it only tracks the pages that you insert the code on. This means I am not longer seeing hits on my admin pages counting on my total page loads.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I've got google analytics on my sprybot site. It's neat, but my usage is pawltry and I don't need a lot of what they track (conversion rates, etc) so I really haven't used it for much. Statcounter is a little simpler for me.

I don't see a way to send an additional invite, although I can add 4 sites to what I track. If that can help you, let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home