blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Sunday, February 05, 2006


Super Bowl Barber Shop Talk

Thanks to Jim Walton for reminding me of a conversation I had at the Barber Shop this week. I was sitting in the chair on a Tuesday afternoon and the question of the week was asked of me for the first time this year - "So, who are you pulling for in the Super Bowl?"

Now, let me tell you that I don't follow football all that much unless it involves the local team. In fact, I had no clue who were contenders this year until after the Conference Finals were over. So I answered that I really hadn't decided, because I had no affiliation nor affinity with either team. But then as I sat semi-dozing off to the drone of the clippers, I realized that I did have connections with both teams...

Pittsburg Stealers
Terry Bradshaw used to play for them in the 70's (or was it early 80's?). Aside from visiting our old church a few time about ten years ago, Mr. Bradshaw until recently owned a jet (or part of one) for which my Brother-in Law was his dedicated pilot. I recall Dave telling a story that on one Fox Sports trip, they were standing on the tarmac next to the plane with a few minutes to spare and Terry brought out a football and asked who wanted to toss it around with him. That must have been a huge thrill!

Seattle Seahawks
Microsoft Co-founder Paul Allen owns the team. You know me, I'm a techie! Say what you want about the "evil empire" now, but 15 years ago I read a biography on Bill Gates (before he was as BILL GATES-ish as he is now) and it went into great detail about his school days friendship with Paul Allen. Before Microsoft, they were the dynamic duo of geekdom and they came up with several microprocessor inventions and businesses to support them.

Now that I've explained my reasons for liking both teams (as weak as those reasons may appear), I still have no clue who I want to win.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home