blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Wednesday, June 01, 2011


Re-entry into the Database Administration Sphere

Four years ago, I left behind a 10-year career as a Database Administrator (Oracle and SQL Server) to join a cloud services startup in what promised to be the last job I would ever have. Yes, those words do look ridiculous, but it was a risk I had to take because it really had potential to be the next big thing. In early May of this year, I made the decision to return to my "DBA roots", refresh my knowledge of database concepts and drum up some interest among my contact base and IT-specific job boards.

So here's the situation; I love relational database technology. Frankly, I love computer technology in general and wish I could master everything about it, but since life is short and if I must choose a specialization, then databases it is. Next, to which brand of database do I give my attention (my experience is equally split between Oracle and MS SQL Server)? Currently, I'm leaning (and learning) toward SQL Server for the following reasons:
  1. My most recent database experience is with SQL Server.
  2. SQL Server has gained exponential credibility in the Enterprise than it used to.
  3. The #sqlserver and #sqlpass communities appears to be strong and genuine source of support, learning and encouragement.
I'm studying the self-paced MCTS certification track for SQL Server 2008, reading blogs by the many SQL Server professionals out there, participating in discussions on Twitter and attending SQL PASS meetings here in North Texas.

My goal is not just to be a Database Administrator, but to really master this technology so that I can share my experiences and give back to the community that's helping me get back in. For now, however, I can regularly share my daily experiences in learning and in practicing these database concepts.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home