blog.stuco.me

DBA (Database Adventurer)

Sunday, June 19, 2011


New DBA Gig: 2 Week Preparation

As mentioned in tweets, Facebook updates and LinkedIn status, I was able to land (finally) employment in Fort Worth as a Database Administrator. Late on Friday, I gave my current employer the customary two week notice which sets my official start date to Tuesday, July 5. My family and I couldn't be more excited for this opportunity to re-ignite my career in the Database world.

I have a fortnight to transition from my "old job" and ramp up for the "new gig" and naturally, I developed a few goals that need accomplishing during this time. The first goal is not to be dismissed prematurely, at least not without a full 2 weeks of pay. It's easy to succumb to "short termers disease" and slack off while biding time before the new job starts, but I need to strike a healthy balance between transitioning out and preparing for new responsibilities.

The next set of goals are to holistically study the roles of a SQL Server Database Administrator, acquaint myself with new features in R2 and Denali, and develop an appropriate routine for the environment I can anticipate to be in. The focus here is to be prepared for anything my new employer wants to throw at me. I was told during my interview that the company is growing rapidly and they have specific initiatives to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (R2), Data Warehousing and introduce Business Intelligence.

Lastly, I'd like to get in shape: physically. I know that when I exercise regularly, my energy levels increase and my mental ability is more focused. Also, I haven't worn business casual attire in over 4 years and I would like to lose an inch or two in the waist so I can fit in my Dockers again (I just don't have the resources right now to invest in a whole new wardrobe).

Oh I almost forgot about blogging. As my peers in the #sqlserver community aptly demonstrate, I need to develop a routine for regular or daily blogging. This helps me to stay encouraged in my career, share my daily adventures for others to learn from experiences and to contribute to the community in general. I look forward to the future and hope you will join in my journey.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home